Saturday, April 19, 2008

We made it!

It's been over a month since my last post, and what a month it has been!
It's been exciting, hectic, frightening at times, thrilling at others, and all-around traveling nuttiness. But, here we are, settled into a new home, bird-watching from the kitchen window and preparing real meals again.
We left Alaska on March 19th and flew into Seattle, where we stayed in a hotel for 3 days and played tourists. One of our main destinations was the Seattle Art Museum, where they had an exhibit of Roman art from the Louvre. It was amazing and well worth the trouble of getting there, part of which was parking 4 stories underground. Heights freak me out, but being that deep in the bowels of the earth, especially in a man-made parking garage, scared the crap out of me, I think even worse than being on the Space Needle. No, it's about equal. Of course I had to put on my happy face for the kids, but the whole parking garage thing rather sucked. Oh well, got over it as soon as we got off the elevator at ground level and I could breathe again. Phew!
We also went to the Science Fiction Museum (very cool) and the Experience Music Project (not as great as I expected).
Then there were the visits to the places we always have to go to in Seattle: Pike Place Market, Pacific Science Center (we've never had time for the Tropical Butterfly Exhibit, but we did this time, and it was very neat), Broadway, The Boardwalk, etc.
We also took the kids to Volunteer Park, which they hadn't been to before, so that was pretty cool. We have a favorite picture of Gil and I at an outdoor concert there in the summer of '92 when we were first together, and the kids were pretty impressed to see the actual setting of the picture.
I'm going to have to sign off now with that first trip installment, since it's late and I really need to get some rest.
Next post: Yakima with Katy's and Danny's families and the cabin in Cle Elum.
One more note though; Gil and I had our 15th year wedding anniversary yesterday. Just amazing that it's been that long and we are still very much in love. Wow. I feel very fortunate.

2 comments:

kateR said...

Hi,
I read your intro on the WASH homeschool site and thought this may be a good place recommend some books by a local scientist/naturalist: Robert Michael Pyle. He lives near you and writes lyrically about this state. (especially "Sky Time in Greys County") I've been to Stevenson! So pretty.
Welcome to Washington and all that ~

kate r

Sally said...

Thanks Kate! I will definitely go check his books out.